Summer Food Drives - Creativity, Competitions, and Community
The Summer months are a time of critical importance for addressing hunger in Minnesota. With kids out of school for the summer, many parents who rely on government-subsidized breakfasts and lunches during the school year, lack the resources to provide their families with adequate nutrition. In the month of July alone, demand nearly doubles at our Wellstone Center Food Shelf!
Food Shelf Fast Facts:
The Mosaic Foundation has agreed to
partially match every contribution to Neighborhood House's Summer Food Drive, ensuring that your contribution will give local families direct access to the nutritious foods they need.
- 1 in 8 Minnesotans struggle with food insecurity
- Hunger in our state has more than doubled since 2008
- 50% of those receiving donations from Neighborhood House food shelves are children
- In 2012 our food shelves distributed 652,663 pounds of food, that's 65 elephants!
- Between 2011 and 2012, our food shelves saw demand increase 25%
- Of the food we give away, 80% is donated through food drives like yours!
Unable to do a food drive? Cash donations are more than welcome! With our bulk purchasing power we are able to stretch cash donations four times further than at conventional grocery stores. For more information on our food shelves Click here.
Summer Food Drive poster goal.pdf Summer Food Drive poster.pdf
From Survive to Thrive - Food Shelf Facts.pdf
Become a Hunger Hero Today
We call donors and partners who support the food shelves "Hunger Heroes" because their donations make a big impact in the fight against hunger. There's never been a better time to join the team!
- Just $10. Donating cash is a great way to support our Summer Food Drive. We know how to stretch a dollar and every dollar makes a difference. Did you know $50 could be lunch and dinner for a family of four for a week? You can make a donation by mailing your check to 179 Robie Street East, Saint Paul, MN 55107, or CLICK HERE to donate online.
- Feed a Family. It's easy to start you own food drive at home, using your own pantry. Ask your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers to do the same. Bring the bags of food to the food shelf to be weighed. Every pound gets us closer to our goal!
- Follow Your Food. Where will the food from your food drive end up? Follow your cans all the way from donation to distribution when you pair your food drive with a volunteer experience. Place the food you have raised on our shelves, and then put it directly into the hands of the families who need it most. Great for groups! Contact Anders to get involved, 651-789-2524 or ARMayland@neighb.org.
We can provide support for your food drive, including:
- Collection barrels
- Marketing Materials
FOOD DRIVE TOOLS
CLICK HERE for ideas, information and print materials.
Every dollar makes a difference! CLICK HERE.
CLICK HERE for more information about our food shelves.